Sunday, March 20, 2011

59 Days of Style Day 14: Layering is Fun!

My Mom always told me to dress in layers when it's cold out. What about when it's just kind of cold and a chunky sweater would be too much? Here is what I wore today and how I did it.







Step one: black tights, black boots (Day 1) it is cold, after all. This is my favorite sundress from Anthropologie. Super cute but not too appropriate for going to church in March. I also would not pair it with a complete black leg. To rock this on it's own, I would wear sandals or brown boots sans tights.






Step 2: My dark purple, Ann Taylor, cow neck (Day 4) is loose enough so my dress fits nicely underneath but hits at the right place so the dress looks like a skirt.











Step 3: Not quite warm enough so I layer on the black cardigan with the chain detail I wore for my work meeting (Day 9).










All three pieces are not bulky, therefore perfect for layering with different outfits. The dress has a bold print and bright colors. Some might scare away from trying to use it as a layering piece. The best thing to do is pick pieces that can all be categorized as neutrals. Have no fear, dark purple is definitely a neutral. The chain detail breaks up the dark colors on top allowing for a more vertical or "skinny" look. The goal is always to look skinny and tall! No frumpy or bulky here!

2 comments:

  1. Just though I would let you know how helpful this blog and your teaching is. I was getting dressed this AM and I put on a sweater that I though looked too short. I was about to throw it on the bed and put on somthing else when I though "what would erin do". So I pulled out a long tank put it under the sweater and it looked great. Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! That's wonderful. Glad I can help inspire you to be creative with the way you layer. Thanks for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete