Sunday, April 3, 2011

59 Days of Style Day 27-29: Balancing Volume

I love playing with volume! Ruffles, chunky knits and patterned skirts are lots of fun, however, it is easy to let them overwhelm your figure. 

On Friday, I wanted to wear something pretty, like this top. This is a very feminine top and, as you know, I'm not one to be girlie head-to-toe. I love this Anthropologie top, but I want to still look like me. By wearing some boyfriend, "broken in" jeans (Day 3), I am able to stay casual yet pretty. 

A chunky knit sweater and scarf are wonderful when going to be outside at night, (my brother's 30th birthday party) but easy to make sloppy. Skinnies (Day 13, Day 18 and  Day 23) and boots are the way to balance this look. It is also fun to play with colors. I knew I wanted to wear this scarf, so I chose neutral colors, then I realized I needed a jacket. Trying to still stay fun and fresh, I laid out my outfit and tried different jackets. Surprising to me, this mustard yellow jacket (Day 1, Day 13) is the perfect contrast.


















This yellow and purple zebra dress is a bit out there, even for me. I bought it for a trip to Las Vegas and have been trying to figure out a way to wear it since. Minh Le, my stylist, taught me one of my new favorite tricks; pulling on a black crew neck (Day 3, Day 16). The dress is magically transformed into a cute skirt and the black sweater tidies up my silhouette. Nude shoes, awesome trick for elongating the legs and not drawing attention to light legs. I also busted out my vintage beetle brooch, which makes me happy.

Do you want to wear something chunky or full on the top or bottom? It's easy to do, just make sure you slim out the other half so you don't look like a cast member from the original Degrassi High.

3 comments:

  1. Haha! I have that yellow and purple zebra dress!! I wore it once . . . and I have to admit it has been hard to make it work since then but it is SUPER cute! I'll have to try it with a shirt over it, great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've warn that outfit a couple times now and always get compliments. Let me know if you end up wearing it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Minh told me you made a blog after she did some wardrobe consulting with you (she has been basically putting together all my outfits for the last couple weeks) and i love it! you have great style, this blog it so helpful.

    ReplyDelete