Saturday, April 9, 2011

59 Days of Style Day 34: Putting Together an Outfit

On my way to a birthday party that may be outdoors, may be in, and may include bowling. Layering is a must in these situations, so I though I would run through how I put my outfit together.

Step One: Base
Often people look at an outfit and don't realize there are foundational pieces playing the supporting role. Here I am with my stretchy black, $7 tank from Target, the black leggings from Guess pulled over knee-high striped thick socks. Always put your socks on before your leggings. These are a great pair because they are thick and comfortable and keep me warm. Who wants to highlight lumps and bumps? I don't! Having tight fitting clothes with some stretch in them help smooth out the surface for the other clothes to be able to glide over.

Step Two: Makeup & Hair
I love red lipstick! When I do my makeup, I always start with the area that I'm highlighting. Here I started with my lips then did the rest of my face to compliment my lips. Always stick to one focus area. Heavy eyes, cheeks and lips will make you look dated and overdone. My red lipstick trick is using a lip-liner and lip stain. Put it on, then dab it off with a tissue, then repeat. This will help set the stain so your color will last. I also recommend checking with a friend or a makeup professional to make sure the red you chose goes well with your natural coloring.

Step Three: Fun Top
Having a short-waist and inverted triangle body shape, it is crucial for me to wear long tops. This top is a fun, thick-knit with sequins across the shoulders. I would be comfortable in this if I were to get too hot bowling and still feel like I was in a party outfit. To elongate my legs, I added my black boots.

Step Four: Pulling it Together with a Jacket
Adding a jacket gives a bit more style and warmth to the outfit. I'm a big fan of my Ann Taylor denim motorcycle jacket (Day 5, Day 6, Day 19), the detail around the waist leads to a clean silhouette.

Step Five: Scarf!

On my way out the door, I grabbed this black scarf to accessorize and add a bit more warmth to my outfit. Minh Le, my stylist, encourages the use of scarves and I agree! Before my wardrobe overhaul I rarely ever wore scarves, now they often find their way into my outfits.

Have fun putting outfits together. Always remember to build a foundation for each outfit.

Peace, love and joy
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment