Friday, June 17, 2011

Stripes!


I really can’t say enough about how excited I am that stripes are big right now. I used to think horizontal stripes just make you look bigger than you are. The truth is it is easy to use stripes to flatter your body.


Here I am dressed for a meeting. This particular top has good size stripes and a little give, making it forgiving in the midsection.  The stripes continue over the arms; this is a great trick if you have broad shoulders, the sleeves also help to make my arms look longer and thinner. To make a black pencil skirt a little less Joan on Madmen and a bit more conservative, I added black tights and black pumps. I am still on my quest for pointed pumps, which would have worked much better with the outfit. The pashmina scarf adds texture and color. For some reason, I have it in my mind that if I wear a watch people will think I am punctual and dependable so I added my Mac Jacobs watch.

I often work from home with little chance that anyone will see me, however, I never know what my day is going to look like. Wearing a cropped (shorter, not necessarily belly showing) striped top can actually make you look skinnier when paired with a tight, long tank. Comfy, dark wash jeans and Toms make me feel homey but ready. Since I don’t like wearing makeup when I’m home, putting on red lipstick is a fun trick to help me feel feminine and takes about 2 seconds to apply. 

If you are not sure which size stripe will look good on you, consult a professional or try on every stripe top you can find in a store and have a trusty friend with you to help you be objective. Stores like Forever 21 are great for having many variations of the same style. This is especially helpful if you have a hard time NOT criticizing yourself while trying on clothes. The second striped top is one that was picked out by my stylist, Minh Le. Having her pick out the top gave me an idea of what I should look for when shopping by myself. 

Have a fun, stripe-filled summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment